Ecclesmachan Area History

The Church
The Churchyard
Places of Interest
Robert Liston
Old Maps
Old Photo's/Postcards
The ancient and modern name of the parish as far back as can be traced has been written as Ecclesmachan, but curiously was pronounced as Inchmachan for a period. As such, one early hand drawn map of Linlithgowshire, produced by Timothy Pont circa 1583-96, clearly shows the area named as Inchmachan. This early map was enlarged and used by J&C Blaeu, a map publisher in Amsterdam for a world atlas they published in 1654. The most probable etymology on the name is Ecclesia Machani or The Church of Machan.

Early records are difficult to trace, most available have come from the parish minister's in one form or another. Such records are only available from The Reformation (1560) onwards.

Copyright © 2011:





Scotland, West Lothian, Ecclesmachan, parish of Ecclesmachan, ThreeMileTown, West Binny, Binny, Binny Craig, St. Machan, St. Machan's, Scottish History, West Lothian, history, Oatridge, Agriculture, Agricultural College, agriculture, animal care, engineering, farriery, environment, conservation, equine, greenkeeping, hoticulture, landscaping, horse management, HNC, HND, SVQ, Sue Ryder, graves, churchyard, gravestones, mortality, immortality, history, symbols, inscriptions, School, smiddy, wyndford, farm, Waterstoun, Waterstone, Robert Liston, industry, maps, old, news, church, church of scotland, photographs, photos, pictures, Winchburgh, Uphall, Houston House, Livingston, events, gala day, dance, Leisure, Scottish Country Dance, Gala Day, Community council, West Lothian, Ecclesmachan and Threemiletown Community Council local, paths, project, gate, stolen, Village, Hall, community, news, walking, paths, countryside,